This post is a bit late, but I finally had my first (and few) instances of serious protein overload.
For those of you who might not know, hair has to have a healthy balance of moisture and protein in order to feel and look great. My hair usually loves protein, but I overdid it this last time.
Here’s what I did:
- I braided up my hair into sections.
- Shampoo’d while in braids, since I’d used cones to flat iron
- Applied homemade protein treatment to braids
- Rinsed after 15 minutes
- Applied moisturizing DC
- Rinsed after an hour or so
I should also mention that my hair was suffering from dryness due to the silicones I use to keep my hair from reverting. My hair felt fine until it dried and then I knew I had a problem. I thought perhaps my hair was just getting back to normal after being straightened. So I cowashed it the next day with a protein based conditioner (which I will be reviewing soon) and the problem got even worse. Bingo!
Symptoms of protein overload (in my experience):
- unusually dry hair
- brittle, hard hair
- easily tangled…may lead to breakage
To rectify my problem, I washed my hair again and used another deep conditioner, and left it in overnight. This fixed my problem and my hair is back to a healthy balance.
So what you can you do if you’ve got protein overload?
- Avoid protein based products
- Use a moisturizing DC to help restore balance to your hair
Powered by Facebook Comments