Kcurly’s No Heat Challenge
You might be asking yourself “Kcurly, you’ve only heat straightened your hair on 3-4 occasions since you’ve gone natural. Why have a no heat challenge?”
- It’s becoming addictive! I actually had the thought of “Hmm, maybe I could do this once a month”
- I keep turning up the knob on my Maxiglide to go just a little bit higher each time I use it. Heat damage is real, my friends. And though I think my hair is a little bit more resistant to heat than most people, I still am not taking any chances
- The summer is coming and I live in Humidity Central, USA. It would be pretty useless to spend 3 hours straightening my hair just to end up with a blowout look.
- I’m going to be swimming this summer a lot and this would get in the way.
Only One Rule:
- No heat styling including blowdrying, hood dryers, hot combing or flat ironing.
Really this is going to be an easy challenge.
Kcurly’s No Buy Challenge
Now this one is going to be a mother.
I’ve never made it a secret: I am a PJ. I’ve resisted it time and time again only to come crawling back to Curlmart and Sally’s with my shaking hands holding my wallet wide open.
I’ve placed several big order recently (c’mon KBB!!) and I also have a bucket full of supplies. If I am frugal and keep my willpower intact, I can make it until September without buying anything.
Why am I doing this challenge?
- To prove that I can
- I sometimes balk over the amount of money I spend on products. Time to prove that I can be frugal. It is very likely that I will be a stay at home mom again sometime in the next year or two, and this will be good practice
- I have a pretty decent stash saved up as it is, I need to shave it down a little
- I am training for a triathlon and intend to put the money that I normally spend on hair products on equipment
Here are my rules:
-No buying any products online or in stores
-I will still use homemade treatments, such as caramel, as I would buy the ingredients from the grocery store. This will also not affect my herbal tea rinses and flax seed that I buy from my health food’s store. The bulk of my money is spent on commercial products.
-This challenge does not include hair accessories, but I am now limiting myself to purchasing one a month
-No buying hair tools or implements (such as Curlformers, combs, etc)
-Since I may be cowashing a lot during the summer, I will allow myself to buy Suave (and only Suave) should it run out
Don’t worry for those of you who visit me for product reviews. I still have a lot that I’ve not posted yet and I occasionally receive samples from vendors to try out.
Anyone is welcome to join me in either one of these challenges and I will keep ya’ll updated. If you have anything in particular that worries you or that is especially hard, comment or email me and maybe we can all talk it out!
It’s going to be a rough summer!!